We hear a lot these days about buying local. And I think all of us are developing a good understanding of why this makes good sense. Many gardeners are educating themselves about where plants originate and are buying locally grown plants whenever possible.
- By purchasing locally grown plants you are supporting local farmers, nurseries and independently owned garden centers.
- Plants grown locally are accustomed to native soils and weather conditions, improving their chance of surviving and therefore thriving. Moreover, your locally owned garden center is a great source of knowledge about locally grown plants.
- In general, locally grown plants come to the marketplace with fully developed roots and in a wide variety of sizes appropriate for your garden/yard.
- Plants that are grown locally save on fuel and transportation costs – reducing the carbon footprint and pollution.
- You help reduce the possibility of introducing invasive insects and diseases into our area and your garden.